What type of insurance do I need?As a fitness professional your insurance should cover you against 3 potential risks:
- Injury to your clients
- Injury to yourself or your empoyees
- Property damage or theft
- Personal Trainer Insurance
- Fitness Instructor Insurance
- Nutritional Advisor Insurance
These insurance policies will provide you with Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance which are both legal requirments of these roles.
There are many other types of coverage that you can have as a fitness professional, but Public Liability and Proessional Indemnity are the only ones which are a legal requirment. As an addition you may want to consider:
- Portable business equipment - insurance against the loss, theft or damange of your business equipment, such as weights or body analysis machines
- Office contents - protects against the loss, damage or theft of your office equipment (if you have one!)
- Personal Accident - provides you with coverage if you are injuryed and unable to work for a period of time. Usually this will pay out a % of your wages or salary
- Cyber and Data Liability - covers you againat cyber attacks, loss of data, missuse of IP - this is recommended if you hold a large amount of customer data or conduct your business online
- Empoyers liability - this will be a legal requiment if you have employees in your business. This provides coverage to your employees if they are injured or fall ill as a result of their employement with you
Insurance costs can vary quite a lot depending on your role, experience, location and previous claims. To give you some guidance we have provided the current comprehensive insurance prices from our insurance partner, Westminster Insurance. These prices are based on a newly qualified fitness professional who is planning to work self-employed and will earn less than £100,000 per year:
How Much Does Insurance Cost?
Personal Trainer Insurance - £227 per year
Fitness Instructor Insurance - £107 per year
Nutritional Advisor Insurance - £107 per year
These prices would cover personal liability and professinoal indemnity insurance, with other types of coverage being optional extras.
If you are a LEAP Academy student you will be able to get £15 off these prices at every renewal with Westminster Insurance